Difficult decisions

Last week, when I returned from my annual pilgrimage to Ontario, we learned our lab springer mix, Bailey, has spondylitis of her spine. She was actually supposed to stay the week with Noah and Ellie, but was inso much pain I brought her home with me.

Bailey is 6 almost 7 and we adopted her from the humane society when she was 4 months old. We promised then that we wouldn’t let her suffer. The time has come to keep that promise. In he past week it has become painfully obvious that she is suffering. In addition, she has started refusing her pain medications. We have tried everything from cheese, to meat, to peanut butter. I have even shoved the pills down her throat. Having gotten bit, I won’t be doing that anymore.

My DH and I decided today to do the humane thing and have Bailey euthanized. We have an appointment tomorrow evening. It has been such a tough decision to make, but both DH and I feel that we are making the correct one.

We told the kiddos tonight that if Bailey gets worse, mommy will take her to the vet to be put down. Tomorrow will be rough on them, but I think they are somewhat prepared for the fact it could happen. Hopefully they will take it well.

I ask for you to keep our family in your thoughts and prayers as we keep the promise we made to our four-legged friend so many years ago. Pray especially for N and E, that they will be comforted during this difficult time.



About carrie

I am a mother of two, wife and professional. I work; I sew; I do crafts; I cook; I support my family; I race; I live. I have been diagnosed with Chronic Migraine Headaches and I refuse to let them control my life. I live my life to the fullest and try to find ways to enjoy it as much as possible. I am living with a plethora of food sensitivities. But I am living life. I am enjoying life.
This entry was posted in Family, Miscellaneous and tagged , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *